These posts are visible with my most recent writing at the top, but the story starts with the first post. The poems have been added more or less as they surfaced and evolved through the process. Thank you for taking some time to explore with me. For more information and/or to schedule a reading contact me at meanderingspublications@gmail.com"> Bio page for Find Maine Writers:




Sunday, May 20, 2018

Sweet Little Island



Sweet Little Island

A quiet island sits
surrounded by reflective waters,
evening sky slowly slipping
into darkness.
I, on the edge of the road,
feel drawn to the scene
and so pause to take it in.
Days later I remember,
and realize why I stopped.
More and more I have the
sense of being on my own island
in both the clarity
 and uncertainty of life.
This is actually growth
 as I’ve worked to
adjust to losing the one with whom
I felt safe navigating
varied currents and inevitable obstacles.
My island is part of a whole
and I am included in the
tender loving support of the Divine.
I know that.
There are moments when I
have to draw in to
protect my shoreline
and interior landscape
as I continue to internalize that
I don’t have to be a repository
for the hurts and sorrows of others.
This is not easy for one with a caring heart,
inquisitive mind,
 sensitive soul.
It is, however, vital to healing.
I’m going to need more time
to fully unlearn a habit that
was so deeply in place.
If I need to pull up,
take shelter on the sweet little island
that is me –
so be it.
Though loneliness does visit,
it’s a pretty wonderful place to be,
safe in the knowledge
that I am loved.
Sarah Carlson
May 20, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment