These posts are visible with my most recent writing at the top, but the story starts with the first post. The poems have been added more or less as they surfaced and evolved through the process. Thank you for taking some time to explore with me. For more information and/or to schedule a reading contact me at meanderingspublications@gmail.com"> Bio page for Find Maine Writers:




Sunday, November 18, 2018

Softly, More Softly



Softly, More Softly

So often we are in a rush.
Do this, solve that,
make it better… now.
But, in truth,
that which is worth exploring
often takes time to fully comprehend.
Instinct helps me allow and encourage this
as the amazing young beings
in my classroom ebb, flow,
gather, and grow –
each in his or her
impeccably unique way.
Why, then, do I feel
I must hurry?
Why am I, the teacher,
often dashing to get from
here to there?
Why do I, the author,
think I must scramble to make sure
my words and images fly
out of the boxes,
off the shelves?
What causes the healing me to
sometimes wonder about failing
if I don’t fully enfold newness
 right away?
This educator, this author,
this sparkling woman
knows that, in truth,
illumination is like the
twisting of a kaleidoscope,
pieces cascading, nestling,
settling anew –
beauty at every turn.
So I’m going  to make sure to
notice the light
 shining wherever it does,
allow understanding
to come as it will,
acknowledge the elegance and grace
 that are right before my eyes
each and every day.
I am going to choose to
slow down,
softly, more softly
 occupy my own space
in this harried world.
Sarah Carlson
November 18, 2018

1 comment: