These posts are visible with my most recent writing at the top, but the story starts with the first post. The poems have been added more or less as they surfaced and evolved through the process. Thank you for taking some time to explore with me. For more information and/or to schedule a reading contact me at meanderingspublications@gmail.com"> Bio page for Find Maine Writers:




Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Rise Up

One World Trade Center, New York City - May 4, 2019
I do not pretend to know what it was like for the people of New York who experienced 9/11. I only know it from my perspective as a mother and second grade teacher in Maine.
Recently I visited New York City for the first time since celebrating my seventh birthday at the World's Fair in 1964. This time my friends and I were there to participate in the 5 Boro Bike Tour and were able to do some sightseeing on Saturday. One place I knew I wanted to visit was the 9/11 Memorial. And, I'm so glad we did.
That experience and this picture were on my mind as I pedaled on Sunday with 32,000 other hearty souls in the pouring rain through the streets of Manhattan, the Bronx, Queens, Brookyn, and across the Verrazzano Bridge to Staten Island.
This poem is an attempt to capture the feelings and sensations of both being at the memorial and participating in the bike tour.

Rise Up

Brokenness
 and the accompanying trauma
are part of living 
on this planet. 
While some tragedies are shared,
each human has their unique story.
Reasons known or not,
effects tangible or difficult to discern,
our narratives are complex
and contain heartache.
Inner reflection,
the exploration of
 deep, achy places
 requires courage, 
determination,
and honesty.
Within the rubble
is the tenacity of the human spirit,
a collective wish for peace,
the goodness and purity of recovery.
We can and do 
rise up
again and again and again.
At times this is hugely visible,
like a towering structure
that seems to stretch 
to the heavens above. 
Other times it's as subtle
as the shared joy of thousands
of like-minded people
pedaling in the same direction 
on a rainy May day
in a city
where resilience, 
rebuilding,
and renewal
are conspicuous, visceral, and true.
Sarah Carlson
May 8, 2019


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this poem again on the twentieth anniversary of 9/11. Your words soothe the heart, and I'm grateful to know you as a friend.
    Irene

    ReplyDelete