These posts are visible with my most recent writing at the top, but the story starts with the first post. The poems have been added more or less as they surfaced and evolved through the process. Thank you for taking some time to explore with me. For more information and/or to schedule a reading contact me at meanderingspublications@gmail.com"> Bio page for Find Maine Writers:




Sunday, October 16, 2016

The Pull of the Moon

From Mosher Hill in Farmington, Maine - October 15, 2016


I have long had a great fondness for the night sky. I have some wonderful memories of stargazing with my father and enjoy organizing full moon outings in the winter. Last night I went in search of a place to see the Hunter's Supermoon. My original idea was to go for a mountain bike ride that would include a stop on a hill that overlooks the town of Farmington to the east. However, a sighting of a bobcat along the trail accompanied by a sense of general unease led me to head to a different hilltop in my car. And here is the rest of the story:

The Pull of the Moon

I sit alone atop
a gentle hill waiting,
believing that I’m looking
in the right direction.
My body aquiver with
the chill of the evening
and the excitement
of getting away,
I take some breaths -
deeper than
I’ve ever taken before.
I feel full
of me.
I settle some and
wonder when it will come.
Just then a sliver of
the pinkish orb
slides above the
multi-hued horizon
exactly where I’m looking.
I gasp a little
and then smile a
smile that I can feel
all through my body.
Slowly,
yet quickly,
the moon
 continues its ascent
into the twilight sky.
I feel deeply grateful that
the pull of the moon
led me to be
right there,
right then,
exactly as I am.
Sarah Carlson
October 16, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment