These posts are visible with my most recent writing at the top, but the story starts with the first post. The poems have been added more or less as they surfaced and evolved through the process. Thank you for taking some time to explore with me. For more information and/or to schedule a reading contact me at meanderingspublications@gmail.com"> Bio page for Find Maine Writers:




Monday, January 17, 2011

After the storm

This poem came after a visit to my special spot by Barker Brook in November of 2007. It's one I almost skipped over, but as I reread it today I remembered how important these feelings were and what a turning point this was. I was down by the brook today and could truly feel the peace of the natural scene around me coupled with a sense of peace within. It was a nice sensation...

After the Storm

I went to my temple by the brook
and, as always, it had much to say.
Free flowing water was
moving surely and swiftly by,
sunlight sparkled on the surface
shining down from the newly blue sky.
Yesterday’s storm produced
this flow that was so beautiful to see.
In places there were eddies
where the brook turned back on itself to rest
and make sure it was ready to go on.
An obstacle made the water change course,
but it danced on the backside of the rock
climbing, clinging, searching for answers
before it rejoined the flow.
Most of the leaves are down now
so the sunlight made it all the way through -
illuminating trunks, branches
and the blanket of dead leaves
making ready to feed the roots.
The water made such a soothing sound,
no rumbling to be heard.
The level had risen,
and it moved along its course with a gentle gusto
to the drop that leads to a meander.
Whitewater on the opposite bank
played in low branches
as it flowed around the bend to find the river.
And it occurred to me that
perhaps my storm can be over
if I let it,
if I know that eddies, obstacles,
and meanders will surely be there,
but that it’s the recognition of the storm,
the lessons learned,
the courage I’ve shown in facing it
that actually make it time
for me to flow.
Thank you brook.
I think I get it.
It is my time now -
after the storm.
Sarah Carlson
November 4, 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment