These posts are visible with my most recent writing at the top, but the story starts with the first post. The poems have been added more or less as they surfaced and evolved through the process. Thank you for taking some time to explore with me. For more information and/or to schedule a reading contact me at meanderingspublications@gmail.com"> Bio page for Find Maine Writers:




Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Vital




I've been waiting to see what poem would surface for my first post of the new year. As has happened before I was somewhat in linear mode, but then I decided to take a meander and skip ahead to this piece. I clearly remember writing it and feeling so strong and good and right. That's a feeling that stayed in my being even as I dug in and processed more of the sorrow and hurt. And it's still with me as I move more surely into the newness of my life now.

And... about the picture above...:) I don't usually post pictures of me, but this one is just the right one for this poem. It was taken at the top of Burnt Mountain near Sugarloaf. I hiked it alone in September of 2009. Well, not really alone - my dog Sophie was with me. It was a hike I had never done and it felt so wonderful to summit that day. I did truly feel vital AND I also figured out how to use the timer on my camera. I was truly the only human being up there!

Vital


I am vital.
I feel energy flowing
through me,
the currents of my being
melding together and
making me whole.
I am vital.
I have given selflessly
for so long
and now I know that it
is not selfish to include me
in my giving.
I am vital.
I have gifts that are mine
to share
and I make a difference in
those whose lives
I touch.
I am vital.
I belong here in my place
and I finally
deeply understand
that it is safe to
be me as I am.
I am vital.
My body is strong,
my life force flowing,
my being free.
I need not be
perfect because
I am vital just as I am.
Sarah Carlson
October 29, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment