These posts are visible with my most recent writing at the top, but the story starts with the first post. The poems have been added more or less as they surfaced and evolved through the process. Thank you for taking some time to explore with me. For more information and/or to schedule a reading contact me at meanderingspublications@gmail.com"> Bio page for Find Maine Writers:




Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Wisdom

Barred Owl that visited us for lunch - outside the window at the Flagstaff Hut

Recently my daughter Emma and I went cross country skiing in to the Flagstaff Hut, part of the Maine Huts and Trails system. As we were eating a delightful lunch, along with catching up with some other folks from Farmington who had come in on snowshoes, this Barred Owl made an appearance just outside the window on one side of the hut. As we took pictures it flew over the hut and landed in a birch tree. It stayed there for the rest of the time we were there.
When things like this happen I always marvel at how we can choose just what to make of the experience. This was especially meaningful for me because just a few days after Barry died, all those years ago, I was walking along a dirt road deep in thought. I soon noticed that an owl was going from tree to tree as if keeping watch over me as I walked. It was the first deep connection I felt to him in those very difficult early days.
This is what came this morning as I thought about recent experiences, including seeing this amazing owl with Emma.

Wisdom

I’m here, Sarah.
And I’m there,
everywhere in between -
supporting and loving you.
 Heart-y rocks,
waters flowing and frozen,
twinkling stars,
ever-changing clouds in the glorious sky.
Eagles soaring on thermals,
hawks on the wing,
 owls that visit for a woodsy lunch.
Encouragement from without to
believe, trust,
and be who you are.
It really, truly is safe.
Deep down in your core you know this.
You’ve peeled away the layers of hurt,
fully exposed the wound,
opened yourself to help and healing,
and discovered true communion.
Follow the wisdom through
which you found love,
and from which these words come.
The same wisdom that guides your teaching,
your support of others in times of need,
and that fills you with
that silvery serpentine warmth
when the effects of the wound
release and dissipate.
Do it…
Relax and ride the wisdom
that comes from those expansive
 spaces and places that are you.
Allow them to speak and
savor the burgeoning within.
Sarah Carlson
February 8, 2017

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful imagery. Powerful sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was singing by the end of your poem! Rise up! Rise up!
    Thank you Sarah.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Penny - you made me smile all over with your response...:)

      Delete