These posts are visible with my most recent writing at the top, but the story starts with the first post. The poems have been added more or less as they surfaced and evolved through the process. Thank you for taking some time to explore with me. For more information and/or to schedule a reading contact me at meanderingspublications@gmail.com"> Bio page for Find Maine Writers:




Saturday, February 24, 2018

I'm Already Armed


I wrote this piece as a way to help myself rally within to return to school on Monday. My heart goes out to the many school communities in our country that have been directly impacted by school violence. I can't imagine the pain and anguish involved with recovering from witnessing such an event.
I believe that one of the ways classroom teachers can move forward in the current climate is to remember and embrace who we are, both as individuals and as a community. This is how I feel and I share it in support of classroom teachers everywhere.

I’m Already Armed

I am a teacher
and I’m already armed.
My ammo consists of
empathy, kindness, passion,
hope, and concern.
My clip includes a deep desire
for my students to grow and learn
as much as they can while they
are in my care.
And care for them, I do.
Each and every day I welcome them
with open arms,
and together
we attack fractions, grammar,
scientific discovery, social constructs,
long division, informational writing,
reading comprehension strategies,
and so much more.
I strive to equip my students
with tools for life
like mindfulness, heartfulness,
creativity, self-expression,
and belief in their individual worth.
The only call to arms I would accept
 is to embrace
my school community
even more.
Such are the arms
that the children of our world
yearn for and deserve.
Caring, connected arms
that hold on and let go
at the very same time.
Arms that support and accept,
encourage expansion and
promote peace.
These are the arms that
belong in schools.
I am a teacher
and I’m already armed.
Sarah Carlson
February 23, 2018


11 comments:

  1. Beautiful Sarah! I couldn't agree more! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!! Thank you for this <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Sarah. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your courage to share this! I know many teachers that will be comforted and empowered by your words! Greg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant! I am sharing this with my sisters - both educators in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah, This expresses what so many of us think and feel. You have said it in such a beautiful way. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Sarah. Too often, we march on without thinking about this. It was as helpful to hear your reasoning behind the poem as to read the poem itself.

    ReplyDelete