These posts are visible with my most recent writing at the top, but the story starts with the first post. The poems have been added more or less as they surfaced and evolved through the process. Thank you for taking some time to explore with me. For more information and/or to schedule a reading contact me at meanderingspublications@gmail.com"> Bio page for Find Maine Writers:




Monday, July 23, 2018

One Degree

Sunset over Lake Champlain in Isle La Motte, VT.
I recently returned from an Appalachian Mountain Club biking vacation on the northern islands of Lake Champlain. Before I left I had my bicycle checked over at our wonderful local bike shop, Northern Lights Heart and Sports. Just before I put my bike in the car Todd, one of the owners, tweaked the angle of my seat. He smiled and said, "It was just a bit off, maybe 1 degree. But that can make a difference." As I pedaled on the beautiful Lake Champlain Bikeway on the first day I suddenly realized that I felt better on my bike. I hadn't really felt bad before, but that little adjustment did make a difference. I've been pondering that, and other things, over the past week or so. And that led to this poem.

One Degree

I’ve spent some time twisting my lens
over the years,
 have become quite adept at it.
At this point turning it as little as
one degree provides
a gentle sense of clarity and relief
that is both rightful and welcome.
Simple, quiet moments
 when what was just barely out of focus
becomes crystal clear,
melds into healing.
This is like being bathed
in a subtle, calm lightness
that both buoys and cleanses.
Or it can be a spreading sense
of fortitude that has long been there,
but feels more apparent and credible.
I often don’t even know that I’m adjusting,
but recognize the blips of awareness.
Like when the sun is at a perfect angle,
so muted shadows stretch into
a summer twilight sky
as soft clouds billow,
and you happen to gaze upwards
at just the right time.
Sweet sensations of
wonder and awe ascend,
the moment both fleeting
and timeless.
Safety and serenity reside
within and without,
and all is well.
Sarah Carlson
July 23, 2018

1 comment:

  1. This lovely, insightful poem reminds me of the Hubble Space Craft. Do you remember when the images came back to earth slightly out of focus? Rather than bring the space craft back to earth, "they" sent technicians up to it to make that very slight, "one degree" adjustment. Now the photos are crystal clear and wondrous. Thanks for another beautiful poem!

    ReplyDelete