These posts are visible with my most recent writing at the top, but the story starts with the first post. The poems have been added more or less as they surfaced and evolved through the process. Thank you for taking some time to explore with me. For more information and/or to schedule a reading contact me at meanderingspublications@gmail.com"> Bio page for Find Maine Writers:




Friday, July 3, 2020

My Mother's Garden


My Mother’s Garden

She devised a seemingly beautiful space
 inside our home.
But, it was outside
where the real beauty took hold.
An open field
that gradually became
a meandering garden
with trees for shade
and places to rest.
She created it over time,
a place for her respite and delight.
I tried to join her there,
but we were usually going
in conflicting directions.
At least that’s how it felt.
Occasionally,
our paths would merge,
but it was brief
and I couldn’t seem to match her step,
 perhaps wasn’t meant to.
I knew to follow love,
even came back to be married there.
The last time I talked with my brother
was right there, too.
The disjointed, confusing
 energy of the place
has been present throughout.
But now as I prepare
to fully walk away,
I can more freely reap the benefits
of other seeds that were sown.
Athleticism, strength, courage,
ability to find hope, no matter what.
I have those with me, too.
I can recognize and allow the blossoms
of my mother’s garden.
I can be me right where I am.
I don’t have to be
there anymore.
Sarah Carlson
July 3, 2020

1 comment:

  1. Wow Sarah, this is very powerful... It sounds like I had a similar relationship with my mother - strained... Occasionally finding a space to "meet" each other, and also a very dysfunctional "family." In the more than a year since my mother passed, my *ideas* about "family" have changed, and like you, I have come to realize, "I don't have to be there anymore." Such a powerful statement... I thank you for touching that part of me with your words...

    ReplyDelete