These posts are visible with my most recent writing at the top, but the story starts with the first post. The poems have been added more or less as they surfaced and evolved through the process. Thank you for taking some time to explore with me. For more information and/or to schedule a reading contact me at meanderingspublications@gmail.com"> Bio page for Find Maine Writers:




Thursday, May 26, 2022

Subtle Grandeur


 

I haven't been writing as much lately, which has actually felt good. I've been allowing myself to rest in the sacred fog that I wrote about a few weeks ago.

I'm now right in the middle of what I affectionately call Weird Week. It starts with May 22, the day my brother died in 1987. The next day is my husband Barry's birthday. He would have been 80 this year. Today is my birthday and then May 29th will mark 20 years since Barry died. 

I had a moment after an osteopathic treatment yesterday where I felt a shift in how I usually experience this week and this poem is an attempt to capture that. I can't really tell how it might come across, but it felt very good to write.

The photo was taken last Sunday (May 22nd) at a gathering of family and friends atop Mt. Washington.

Subtle Grandeur

One beautiful spring day,
20 years ago,
life changed dramatically.
Eventually I chose to
walk into the grief
of such a sudden loss.
There has been
 both murkiness and clarity
along the way,
the path
filled with
challenges and shifts,
flowing tears,
 and billowing joys.
I’ve landed
in a place where I can
honor the pain of loss,
 the depth of love shared,
 the person I have become.
Imperfectly perfect
just as I am,
I ground
to the accomplishments
all these years have contained.
 I sit atop a mountain
precious grandson in my lap,
both our children nearby.
I breath a contented sigh
as I look to mountain waves
that stretch
across the horizon.
Subtle grandeur that contains
 stillness and movement,
grace and peace,
hope and promise,
and so very much love.

Sarah Carlson
May 26, 2022


 


1 comment:

  1. Sarah - Your journey is just so amazing! I love reading your posts with your transformative insights. I hope this birthday is/was especially meaningful with all the wisdom you have gained in your "inner treks" of Self-discovery... _/\_

    ReplyDelete