These posts are visible with my most recent writing at the top, but the story starts with the first post. The poems have been added more or less as they surfaced and evolved through the process. Thank you for taking some time to explore with me. For more information and/or to schedule a reading contact me at meanderingspublications@gmail.com"> Bio page for Find Maine Writers:




Thursday, November 26, 2020

Upheld

Adding the photo that inspired the poem

 

This poem surfaced several days ago. I've been sitting with it and the more I do, the more I feel its many meanings, its power and love. It was inspired by one thing, but taps so very much. 

I usually post my poems with the picture that inspires them or that I later realize is connected to their meaning. But this one just has so many connections. And, this morning I realized I needed it to be out in my home space. So, here's a pic of the one I wrote for me.

I'm so grateful to have had a loving husband and to have raised two amazing children with him. I'm grateful for how I somehow found his death a catalyst to explore my inner workings.   

And so this Thanksgiving day I share this piece along with some of the many things I am thankful for - my being, my healing, my family and friends, my students, my home, my gifts and the courage to share. 

Here it is... with love.

Upheld

Your wholesome body curls
against my chest,
warms my heart with memories
of nurturing and loving and
mothering.
This time of holding,
beginning to know you,
is fresh, clear,
has no tangles.
It contains a pleasant,
fizzy energy of
            transition,
                    connection,
                                unbridled love.
As if your heart and mine
meld together,
though our uniqueness is
distinct and true.
You, so tiny and pristine.
Me, more weathered
 with freshness of my own.
This mingled newness
liberates feelings that are
 almost beyond words.
I am upheld
                as I uphold.
And it’s beautiful.

Sarah Carlson
November 17, 2020



2 comments: