These posts are visible with my most recent writing at the top, but the story starts with the first post. The poems have been added more or less as they surfaced and evolved through the process. Thank you for taking some time to explore with me. For more information and/or to schedule a reading contact me at meanderingspublications@gmail.com"> Bio page for Find Maine Writers:




Friday, August 27, 2021

Bear Witness


 

Cascade Stream Gorge in Coplin, ME
 

I did this short hike on my way to the Rangeley Library to share my poetry last week. I think it made the reading that much more special as the listeners bore witness to the words and images that found their way into the room, that come from all I have learned along the way in the process of healing. This poem has been slowly making its way since then...

I share it with gratitude for my own knowing when and how to pause, notice, offer presence and for the people in my life who know, too.

Bear Witness

A tree,
or part of it,
fell in the woods.
I know this
because I heard the crack
and the crash
as I hiked
on a trail that followed
a stream to a lovely gorge.
I paused and remembered
 the age old question –
if a tree falls in the woods,
does it make a sound?
In this case the answer was
yes
because I was there
to witness it.
The woods were thick,
the gorge quite deep,
so I couldn’t tell
how much of the tree fell
or where it landed.
As I looked into the chasm,
I spotted pieces of birch
starting to disperse
in the slow flowing waters
below me.
I chose to watch for a while,
mesmerized by how each of the pieces
moved at their own pace
as they flowed to places unknown.
I felt honored to bear witness
to this change in the forest,
grateful yet again
for the many lessons
that Nature has to teach.

Sarah Carlson
August 27, 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment