These posts are visible with my most recent writing at the top, but the story starts with the first post. The poems have been added more or less as they surfaced and evolved through the process. Thank you for taking some time to explore with me. For more information and/or to schedule a reading contact me at meanderingspublications@gmail.com"> Bio page for Find Maine Writers:




Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Uneasy peaks




When I started to feel lightness and had a sense of finding my way through the sorrow, I thought, "Okay, I'm doing it. I've gone from there to here and that's done." The linear mind again kicking in. But grieving is not a straight path, as I've said. Once I began to understand that I was able to hmmmm.... well, to start to be more at ease in the process, I guess. This next poem is one of several that was my way of expressing that.

Uneasy Peaks

From a valley of despair I have journeyed.
Emerging emotions, torrential tears, whitewater words
pouring from a well of deep inner turmoil
have been the impetus, the vehicle of my movement.
Traveling on a path that has at times been
a gentle slope with obstacles to be faced,
but more often so steep that I am breathless,
not sure that I can keep moving,
yet I do.
Some days I walk along a precipice that
tenses my body and makes my spirit so weary.
Other days I have a spring in my step and
take time to drink in the view,
feel the breezes of contentment and peace,
hear the gentle whispers of encouragement and hope.
I have fallen many times,
fallen so hard that old hurts return to haunt
a newly evolving me.
Fallen so hard that the buzzing bug
that pesters my brain becomes loud and annoying.
The bug of doubt, of worry, of fear.
But each time I have picked myself up,
acknowledged the pain for what it is,
and moved forward.
I have reached beautiful peaks,
where I feel aware, and solid, and sure,
where I discover things in myself that I
never knew were there,
where I just feel right.
Yet those peaks make me uneasy,
make me think I should turn back -
back to what was because, although it was dark,
it was at least familiar.
But I don’t.
I only slide a bit and find ways
to brush the bug away,
then strive for another peak.
For I now understand
that those uneasy peaks are part of a fresh horizon,
that my uneasiness dissolves into learnings about me,
that my inner boundaries have changed.
I have wandered far and wondered deeply,
and soon I will settle into
the me that is right.
A me that is at ease reaching for new heights
and comfortable when I get there.
Sarah Carlson
January 5, 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment